Friday, December 18, 2009

The True Meaning of Christmas






This year is a mile stone year for our family. It is the first year that our kids aren't "babies" and can really start to grasp what Christmas is all about. It may be difficult to teach young children about the joys of giving instead of receiving, especially in a time where receiving everything on the "list" stands supreme.
As a parent, everyday i wonder if I have helped my children along their path to Eternity, have I done enough? Have I nurtured their divine nature,or have I just merely been the adult standing in the way of mischief, and certain injury? Did I recognize those precious teaching moments, or get annoyed and angry at the mistake? Do I take the time to show my family that I love them, and teach them how to love each other, or am I so concerned about my daily chores and the way others measure my accomplishments that I miss the point? Am I doing all I have agreed to do, or am I merely existing, putting in my time here?
I wonder, if I had been in that city of Bethlehem on that most sacred of nights, would I have stopped rushing and scurrying around long enough to recognize the bright new star marking the birth of our King? Would I have been worthy to have been invited to the lowly stable, to look upon the face of that precious baby Jesus?
Every time I stop hurrying and scurrying around long enough to build a tower, or take a sip of imaginary party drinks from little plastic cups all decorated with pink flowers, I feel as if I have seen the star over Bethlehem. Every time I take the time, to walk a little slower so that warm little hands can hold onto mine, or bend down close enough to look into sparkling "chocolate" eyes I feel as if I am a little closer to Heaven from where they came, not so long ago.
I gather reassurance that maybe I'm not doing so bad as a mother in sweet small moments. This year, the Brigham City Family Fun Center hosted a children's clothing and toy exchange. Adessa got so excited about this event, her warm heart and giving nature truly had a chance to shine through. At first, I thought that what she was so excited about was the fact that all the toys at this event would be free for the taking and she could pick whatever she wanted. I found that this was to become a lesson for me, as much as it was for her. As we carefully sorted her closet, I was overcome with emotion as she chose to give away some of her very favorite dresses. The warm, red and blue, yellow flowered, flannel jumper that she had wanted to wear that coming Sunday was among the other clothes and jackets that she had outgrown. With that dress she had carefully paired a pair of matching red "leggins" and coordinating "Mary Jane" dress shoes. I tearfully watched as she then went to her toy box, lovingly picked out the very doll she had been playing with earlier that morning, dressed her in a pretty pink and yellow flowered dress, and then attached a binkie to the doll's dress. I have to admit that I was filled with pride at the sight of her being so selfless, and I had to ask myself,"did I teach her that, or is she teaching me?" The toys and clothes to give away were bagged up and loaded in the trunk of the car. Only the doll and the dress rode in Adessa's little lap. All the way to the event Adessa smiled and giggled every now and then. "What is so exciting?" I asked. "Oh, I just can't wait to give my gift to Jesus, because you know, that when you give to others, you have given to Him." My mouth nearly dropped off my face and there was nothing more to be said.
Christmas doesn't come from a store. Christmas means a whole lot more. I hope everyone has a Christmas full of love and happiness. A Christmas filled with joy and laughter. A Christmas of more giving, more caring, and more sharing. Let us take the time to stop, and notice the light of the Star this year. Let us try to live a little nearer to the way our Savior taught. Get a little closer to the manger where he lay, and who knows, maybe we will even hear the songs of Hosanna sung by the Angels. Merry Christmas everybody!

No comments: